Welcome to Recipe of the Month
Sweet & Sour Sauce
• Prep Time 10 min • cooking Time 15 min • Serves Four - Six
Low Carb ✓ Low Sugar ✓ Low Gi ✓
• 1tsp olive oil or coconut oil
• 1 small red onion, finely diced
• 2 crushed garlic cloves
• ½tsp. fresh ginger root, grated
• ½ red chilli, deseeded and finely diced
• ¼ tsp. Chinese five spice powder
• 4 tbsp. tomato puree
• 200ml fresh chicken stock
• 2tsp cornflour
• 2tbsp rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
• 2tbsp Natvia (to taste)
• 2tbsp soy sauce, gluten free
• 200g fresh pineapple cut into small pieces
• Freshly ground black pepper
• Pinch of sea salt
METHOD1. Heat the oil in a pan and saute the onion for a couple of minutes until it starts to soften. Add the garlic, ginger and chilli if using and stir for a minute.
2. In a small bowl add the cornflour and mix in 3tbsp of chicken stock to make a smooth paste.
3. Add the remaining chicken stock, vinegar, Natvia, soy sauce and tomato puree to the pan and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat, add the pineapple chunks and cornflour paste and simmer for a couple of minutes to thicken the sauce. Season to taste.
4. This can pour this sauce over cooked meat or vegetables or use as a dipping sauce. You can store the sauce in the fridge for 2-3 days. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
CD Of The Month